Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow


"Praise God from Whom all blessings flow 
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly host
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Amen" 
I saw a post before Coronavirus went absolutely crazy in the U.S. (just a week ago) saying that instead of humming "Happy Birthday" twice, singing the Doxology would also serve as an effective timer for washing your hands. So I started doing that.
Shortly after, the NBA abruptly suspended its season, followed by nearly every sports league. Colleges across the country began to suspend face-to-face classes. People started panic-buying everything from ramen to toilet paper. That Thursday, despite having only 1 confirmed case, my university also suspended in-person classes, following the lead of the other universities in the state.
I saw the email announcement while outside talking to friends. My first thought,

"What now?"

We plunged directly into a time of uncertainty. All campus classes and activities that involve people gathering together are at this point canceled. My Senior friends have sat in their last classes ever. Many of my other friends now intend on going home, either by their own choice or because their parents are making them.

What now?

Life continues to fall apart. Maximum gatherings quickly go from 200 people to 50 people to 10 people. Churches are cancelled and soon small groups and prayer groups can no longer meet. People have to distance themselves socially. All stock market gains during the 3 years of the Trump presidency have at this point been completely lost within a week.
At the time of writing this, campus housing and dining is still open, but I anticipate this may not be the case for long.

What now?

I'm not particularly afraid of catching Covid19, as I know my young body will fight it off (I'm still taking every necessary precaution to not spread it however, because I'm not a jerk who has no care for the elderly and immunocompromised). What's worse for me personally is the loss of any and all human social contact besides the people I live with. Campus will likely close completely soon, and that'll be it.

I'm a Junior, so I'm coming back, but many of my friends are not. I've known this was coming, but I anticipated it to be in May, not within a week. At this time last week I still had physical classes to go to the next day. Now everything is completely uncertain, and I am a homeschooler once again and for the forseeable future, without any human contact outside of my roommates. This is the experience of all of us right now. It's incredibly hard to process as it's completely unprecedented for our society.

I continue to take the precautions not to get/spread Covid19. Wash hands, don't touch face, etc etc. But every time I wash my hands, I still sing the Doxology.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow. Job 1:21 (ESV) says,

And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”

The Lord has given us the lives we are in, and He can take it away. Still, His Name is to be praised.

Romans 8:28,

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

This is a troubling and uncertain time. Life is being upended every other hour it seems. But God is still there. He will get us through it. I won't paste the whole thing here, but James 4:13-5:20 seems to fit our current situation quite well.

Despite all that is going on, we still must look to the Lord. When everything else fails within a span of days, our Father is always constant.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

And wash your hands please.

Comments